Friday, January 8, 2010

Crazy, It Runs in The Family

So this weekend, my sister is running a marathon. She's trained for months, she's been in pain for months, yet she's flying to Disney World today to run 26.2 miles. She's really an inspiration.

Not that the following compares in any way to the sort of physical challenge my sister is up to, yet it's still sort of insane to expect that I could do this: So, I started to knit my mom the Lettuce Leaf Scarf for her birthday. I started the scarf January 6, ripped out my progress on Jan 7, and now have about an inch of lace in sock yarn on Jan 8. Don't worry, her birthday isn't until Jan 12. Plenty of time (this is accompanied by one of the blowing it off hand gestures and rolling of the eyes). Hm, I could be delusional. Photos included for judgement.

Blurry so that I don't have to face reality.

Close up, I can't see the detail of the lace, and this concerns me, I hope it gets better as I knit along (wishful thinking?).
Some perspective on the mountains of progress I've made.


I'm in a major greedy phase of knitting. I've been saying "I want, I want, I want" lately.... My husband may have compared me to Veruca Salt from Willy Wonka. Not very flattering, but really if I am being honest here, not entirely far from the truth at times. My father will also verify this.

I am very directed in my wanting, and I am exercising restraint, and for that I should be commended. There are three things in particular that strike my fancy right now:

I found one that is Pink, Green and Polka Dotted. Was this not specifically designed for moi? I mean, all of my favorite things in one knitted related item. I should have this!

Madelinetosh Merino Specifically the Tannehill colorway-
I think I covet this so, because it's what my sweater (I have 1 and a half sleeves btw!) SHOULD have been made with. I think they call this Yarners Remorse.

And this, because it just looks so soft, so pretty, and the colors are almost iridescent. So I am saving my pennies, and one day, I will get to make something out of this wonderfulness.




3 comments:

  1. I love you are doing this. Can I get on your list for a scarf? I want I want I want Lauren to make me a scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing! I will add you to my list! Thanks for my first comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other thing in your favor is that you don't have much of a stash and its a proven fact that ALL KNITTERS WORTH THEIR (VERUKA) SALT HAVE A STASH! So, go out and buy that yarn and don't appologise! Oh, and do it for all of us January stash-busters!

    ReplyDelete